MHLA AND BEST PARTNERSHIP
Human trafficking is incredibly widespread and our hotels have an important role to play in keeping our community and our hotels safe from this harm. MHLA is now partnering with Businesses Ending Slavery and Trafficking (BEST) to provide FREE human trafficking training for MHLA members and their staff.
“BEST’s Inhospitable to Human Trafficking Training is an informative and practical resource for hoteliers and their staff. This training provides Maryland’s lodging industry with the education necessary to help protect victims of exploitation and increase employee safety. We are proud to partner with BEST on this very important issue.”
AMY W. ROHRER, CAE
PRESIDENT & CEO
MARYLAND HOTEL LODGING ASSOCIATION
ABOUT BEST’S INHOSPITABLE TO HUMAN TRAFFICKING TRAINING
BEST offers the most comprehensive human trafficking training available in the country for hospitality employees. BEST’s training is a proven tool that helps victims of human trafficking escape exploitation and helps trained hotels become less hospitable for traffickers. Survey research has shown that before receiving training, only 8% of trainees recognized a trafficking incident within the prior year. After taking BEST’s training, that number jumped to 44% of trainees identifying victims.
1. Provide an overview of sex trafficking and labor trafficking and their impact on the hotel industry
2. Discuss common indicators of human trafficking and case examples
3. Give action steps for how to respond to and prevent human trafficking
4. Discuss key takeaways and provide additional resources, including modules to address real scenarios or receive more in-depth training
TRAINING MODEL OPTIONS
1. Individual online training for staff (in English and Spanish)
2. Individual online training for owners and managers (staff training course plus additional modules and resources for owners and managers)
3. Group training (in English and Spanish) that owners or managers can use to train their staff in person
Everyone who completes the training will receive a certificate. This certificate may satisfy state and/or local training requirements. It is the responsibility of hotels to verify whether the training meets any such requirements.
ABOUT BUSINESSES ENDING SLAVERY AND TRAFFICKING (BEST)
Businesses Ending Slavery and Trafficking (BEST) is the first nonprofit organization in the country dedicated entirely to working with businesses to disrupt human trafficking. BEST has provided consultation and training to hundreds of hotels focused on reducing human trafficking and mitigating the reputational, legal, and financial risks associated with it. BEST has trained thousands of hotel employees and equipped them to protect their hotel and employer from human trafficking.
BEST’s Inhospitable to Human Trafficking Training is sponsored by the Asian American Hotel Owners Association (AAHOA).