Stage Two of Recovery
“Maryland is following , which includes a phased approach to reopening business. The state is in Stage Two per the Effective June 12 at 5 pm, outdoor entertainment and recreational attractions along with indoor dining may reopen to the general public, though specific closures and restrictions are still in place. Effective June 19 at 5 pm, indoor entertainment and recreational attractions (including indoor pools and fitness centers) may reopen to the general public, along with casinos and gyms.” Stages are being implemented with a flexible, community-based approach that empowers individual jurisdictions to make decisions regarding the timing of reopenings, therefore it’s important that businesses consult .
The limit of no more than 10 people in social gatherings has been lifted. As of June 10, 2020, “It is strongly recommended that all Marylanders continue to follow the most current guidance from CDC and MDH regarding social distancing, including, without limitation, avoidance of large gatherings and crowded places.” Click the following link to view FAQs regarding Social Gatherings, including those held at licensed food service establishments.
We are seeking clarification from the state on the Amended Directive below that prohibits convention events until further notice. The following memo provided by MHLA’s lobbying firm, the Law Offices of Frank D. Boston, III, provides an analysis of the Executive Orders and Directives issues through July 6, 2020.
The following Guidance has been provided by the Maryland Department of Health:
- (Amended) Directive and Order Regarding Community, Recreational, Leisure, Cultural and Sporting Gatherings and Events (Replacing No. MDH 2020-06-10-02, and prohibiting convention events until further notice.)
- Directive and Order Regarding Food Service Establishments and COVID-19 Food Safety Guidance and FAQ (updated 5/29/20)
- Amended Directive and Order Regarding Swimming Pools
Hotels are encouraged to visit Maryland’s Back to Business webpage for specific industry guidance. Safety Best Practices for Accommodations, Restaurants and Bars, Golf, Retail, Fitness Centers, Swimming Pools and other business segments may be downloaded from this page.
Additionally, Governor Hogan is encouraging Maryland business owners to take the Maryland Strong Back to Business Pledge, and display a signed pledge in your place of business. The pledge includes a commitment to follow industry best practices.
“Safe Stay” Initiative
MHLA has endorsed the national “Safe Stay” initiative (updated 6-4-20), which was developed with input from major brands and industry leaders as well as subject matter experts.
Face Covering Requirements at Hotels
Hotels are not among the businesses subject to the statewide Executive Order requiring employees and/or guests to wear face coverings, (except for in restaurants or retail space within your hotel), but the following is stated in Executive Order 5-27-20:
“Any business, organization, establishment, or facility in the State of Maryland may require its customers over the age of two, visitors over the age of two, and/or staff to wear Face Coverings (as defined in the FaceCoverings Order). A business, organization, establishment, or facility that elects to do so shall post signage at each entrance advising customers, visitors, and/or staff about such requirements.”
Resources from MHLA Partners & Allied Members
General Information – Best Practices, Webinars & Other Relevant COVID-19 Related Topics
- Visit https://www.ahla.com/covid-19-resource-center for COVID-19 webinars, federal legislative updates, industry stats, and more from our national partner, the American Hotel & Lodging Association
- HR Guidance & Best Practices Webinar – provided by Heartland Payment Systems
- Enhanced Safety Training – provided by HSS (Hospitality Staffing Solutions)
- Information on meeting technology / best practices for live meetings, virtual meetings and more: MeetSAFE Playbook & MeetSAFE Guidelines, as well as How to Present Professionally from Home. – provided by PSAV
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Cleaning / Disinfecting Guidelines – provided by Ecolab
- Spray Disinfection Service – provided by Ecolab Pest Elimination. If interested contact the Ecolab Pest Customer Service Center by calling 800-325-1671 and request contact from the local manager.
- Multiple Disinfecting Options – provided by BMS CAT You may contact Hal Hocking by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (240) 460-4813 to schedule an evaluation.
- COVID-19 Deep Clean for Hotels – provided by HSS (Hospitality Staffing Solutions)
General Operation / Inspections
- Complimentary Hotel Reopening Inspections – provided by Triple Crown Construction
- Free PTAC/HVAC Tune-ups – provided by Star Energy and paid for by Potomac Edison. **This service is only available to those in Potomac Edison service areas.**
- Indoor Air Quality Assessment– provided by Trane. The CDC and ASHRAE have provided guidelines for addressing indoor air quality in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic that addresses four major areas. Trane Maryland provides a comprehensive assessment and recommendations on how to meet CDC and ASHRAE guidelines.
- Discounted Tune-ups for Commercial Kitchen & Refrigeration Equipment – provided by EMR Co. Let EMR ensure your equipment is clean and operational as you get back to busy.
Cost Saving Resources
- Hotels may contact utilities directly to request deferred payment plans. Click the following link for contact information for Maryland Utilities & COVID-19 Policies – provided by Sunlight Energy Group
- Cost Reduction Opportunities for Maryland Hotel Owners – provided by Clearview Group. Clearview Group offers a holistic approach specifically for Maryland hotel owners on (2) cost reduction opportunities which include a proactive review of your Real Estate Tax and Personal Property Tax postures. Both of these reviews are performed on a contingency fee basis – if there are no tax savings achieved, there is no fee. For more information, please contact Mia Tripodi, Director of Business Development directly at Clearview – email@example.com or (667) 207-8777.
Printing and Signage
- Social Distancing Signage, Message Mats & More – provided by Herron Printing & Graphics Visit their website www.herronprinting.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Recovery and Crisis Management – Sales, Marketing, Revenue Management and Operations
- Crisis Management and Recovery Resources – provided by TravelClick, an Amadeus Company, to help hospitality members navigate turbulent economic times with various complimentary resources, webinars, tools to maintain your business, connect with your guests, and plan for future recovery.
- Planning for Hospitality Recovery Playbooks – TravelClick has created customized guides for hospitality partners to use when planning strategic recovery for Marketing, Sales, Revenue Management and Operations.