BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
All members are notified of vacant board seats annually and those who express an interest are considered by the Nominating Committee, who present a recommended slate to the full membership for approval annually. This vote takes place at the Annual Meeting.
We appreciate the service of our current Board members, who are listed here.
2017 STANDING COMMITTEES:
An overview of MHLA Standing Committees is below. Special Committees (Task Forces) may also be formed throughout the year. A call for service on each committee typically goes out annually. If you would like to get involved, call 410-974-4472 or email mhla@MDLodging.org.
NOMINATING – (full)
Per MHLA bylaws, at least five members in good standing will be named by the Chair 3-4 months prior to the Annual Meeting (occurring in May). 2-3 meetings typically occur via conference call from February – March and all members are encouraged to attend the Annual Meeting.
Please click here for the 2017 application to be considered for Board service.
- Assist with recruiting, vetting and recommending Directors and Officers for service on the MHLA Board
- At least 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting, members must be notified of the slate
- All members attending the Annual Meeting will vote on the slate as presented
LEGISLATIVE – (full)
2017 Co-Chairs: Jim Starke, Best Western Plus BWI Airport/Arundel Mills and Monroe Harrison, Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
Meets via weekly conference calls during Session from January – April. May also be called upon to attend/testify at hearings. Please click here to view a list of the 2017 committee members.
- Reviews proposed legislation that may impact the lodging industry on a weekly basis during Legislative Session
- Provides input that helps to determine MHLA’s legislative priorities and testimony on specific bills
- Contacts legislators/regulators as needed
- May be called on to testify on behalf of industry at legislative hearings
AMBASSADOR PROGRAM (function of the Board)
3-4 meetings throughout the year. May be in-person or via conference call depending on needs.
- Assist with developing membership sales strategies and leverage existing relationships to achieve MHLA membership goals
- As needed, advise on lodging industry needs and educational programs/benefits that may fulfill them as a benefit of membership
- Provide input in planning the Annual Meeting/Allied Table-Top Trade Show and identify educational topics that will provide value to the Lodging attendees
- Act as ambassadors of the Association
MARKETING (5 open seats)
Committee functions in an Advisory/Task Force capacity as projects arise; Marketing experience and/or expertise in graphic design a plus.
- May assist with developing and/or carrying out MHLA’s marketing plan
- May assist with branding, social media, brochures, email marketing and event collateral
- Reviews website and assists with monitoring MHLA’s presence online
GOLF OUTING (full)
2017 Co-Chairs: Katie Doherty, Holiday Inn Gaithersburg and Michael Henningsen, Plamondon Hospitality Partners
Typically meets 1 time in person and via conference call (typically 4-6 total meetings over 6 month period). Please click here to view a list of the 2017 committee members.
- Identifies ways to continuously build on and enhance a successful Signature event
- Solicit sponsorships, golfers, prizes, donations, etc. to achieve fundraising goals for the event
- May assist in bag stuffing, registration, and day of event help
STARS OF THE INDUSTRY AWARDS LUNCHEON (full)
2017 Co-Chairs: Melissa Simpson, Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center and Yolanda Gainey, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown-Gaithersburg
Typically meets 1 time in person and via conference calls from December-February. Expected to attend the day of the event. Please click here to view a list of the 2017 committee members.
- Encourages participation from members through nominations and attendance
- Identifies ways to continuously enhance the event and the recognition gained by nominees and award winners
- Solicits sponsorships and donations for the event
- Assists with various needs the day of event